This post is also available in: Melayu (Malay) 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))

Passes Requirements In Malaysia

(Please refer to Immigration Department of Malaysia for latest updates)

Other than application for entry for the purpose of social or business visits, application for visit passes must be made before the arrival in the country.

A pass is an endorsement in the passport constituting permission to stay for an approved duration. Foreigners who visit Malaysia must obtain the pass at the point of entry besides visa (where required) which allows him to stay temporarily in Malaysia.

All such applications must have sponsorship in Malaysia whereby the sponsors agree to be responsible for the maintenance and repatriation of the visitors from Malaysia if necessary.

Passes given to foreign visitors upon arrival are as follows:

(i) Visit Pass (Social) Short Term

A Visit Pass is issued to foreigners for the purpose of a social or/and business visit, such as:

  • Owners and company representatives entering Malaysia to attend a company meeting, conference or seminar, inspect the company’s accounts or to ensure the smooth running of the company
  • Investors or businessmen entering to explore business and investment opportunities or setting up manufacturing plant
  • Foreign representatives of companies entering to introduce goods for manufacture in Malaysia, but not to engage in direct selling or distribution
  • Property owners entering to negotiate, sell or lease properties
  • Foreign journalist or reporters from mass media agencies entering to cover any event in Malaysia
  • Participants in sporting events
  • Students sitting for examinations in local university or on goodwill mission
  • Visitor entering on other activities than above as approved by the Director General of Immigration

These passes cannot be used for employment or for supervising the installation of new machinery or the construction of a factory.

(ii) Visit Pass (Social) Long Term

Long term social visit pass may be issued to a foreigner for temporary stay in Malaysia for a period of not less than six months. Extension may be given based on visitors’ eligibility and upon fulfilling certain conditions.

Foreign spouses to Malaysians, holding a long term social visit pass are allowed to be engaged on any form of paid employment or in any business or professional occupation without converting their Social Visit Pass status to Employment Pass or Visit Pass (Temporary Employment)

(iii) Visit Pass (Temporary Employment)

This is issued to foreigners who enter the country to take up employment for less than 24 months.

(iv) Employment Pass

This is issued to foreigners who enter the country to take up employment for a minimum period of two years. Employment pass is issued after the applicant has obtained the approval for expatriate post from the relevant authorised agencies.

(v) Visit Pass (Professional)

This is issued to foreigners for the purpose of engaging on short-term contract with any agency.

The categories of foreigners who are eligible are:

Professionals/Volunteers ·         researchers recognised by the Government of Malaysia;·         members of an international organisations;

·         invited lecturers/speakers;

·         experts in the installation or maintenance of machines;

·         those who provide technical trainings; etc

Artistes ·         those entering for filming or performance;·         those entering for promotion of albums or new products; etc
Missionaries (Islam or other religions) ·         those entering for religious purposes

The validity of the pass varies but it does not exceed twelve months at any one time.

Applications should be made by the agency concerned.

(vi) Dependant Pass

This facility is accorded to families of expatriates officials. Dependant Pass is issued to spouse and children of the Employment Pass holders. This pass may be applied together with the application for an employment pass or after the employment pass is issued.

(vii) Students Pass

This is issued to foreigners who wish to study in Malaysia in any educational institutions which courses have been approved by Malaysia’s Ministry of Higher Education and the intake of the foreign student has the approval from Malaysia’s Ministry of Home Affairs

Quick Links

Visa Requirements in Malaysia
Passes Requirements in Malaysia
Employment of Expatriates in Malaysia
Summary of Immigration Process
Company’s Paid Up Capital Requirements for Employment of Expatriate
Requirements to Apply for Expatriate Employment Pass
Approvals Required from Agencies/ Regulatory Bodies for Employment Pass Application
List of Positions Not Applicable for Expatriate Positions