MNCs in Malaysia
One of the primary reasons MNCs are eager to set up a business base in Malaysia is due to the lower operational costs involved. Malaysia is the third largest economy in South East Asia and has now become an upper middle income and export-oriented economy.
Why MNCs Are Thriving in Malaysia
Several factors contribute to Malaysia being one of the thriving business hubs in the Asia Pacific region, among them:
- Malaysia is primed in a very strategic location, right smack in the middle of the South East Asia region, not to mention being close neighbours with Singapore, one of the most vibrant business hubs in the region.
- The World Bank ranked Malaysia as the 6th friendliest country in the world to do business, according to its 2014 report. Malaysia beat out countries like Australia and the United Kingdom to claim this spot.
- Malaysia has a well-developed infrastructure
- Malaysia has a strong educated workforce and English is widely used as a business language.
- Malaysia has an excellent infrastructure system and transport connectivity.
Being a multi-ethnic, multilingual and multicultural society certainly has opened a lot of doors for Malaysia, and the fact that Malaysia has received a high ranking for the ease of doing business by the World Bank has certainly helped.
Malaysia is one of the top locations in the world, especially for offshore manufacturing and service based operations. It comes as no surprise than that multinational corporations from more than 40 countries all across the globe are currently invested in over 5,000 companies in Malaysia.
Even more reason why Malaysia is a highly sought after country for MNC companies include the fact that regulations on the participation of foreigners in business is very easy compared to a lot of other countries in the Asian region. This means that foreign companies have a much easier time here if they want to establish a business base because there is less red tape to go through.
A List of MNC Companies in Malaysia That Are Currently Doing Well
MNCs in Malaysia comprise of both local and international companies. Here are some of the biggest MNC companies which are currently operating in Malaysia:
- Sime Darby Berhad
- Axiata Group Berhad
- Petroliam Nasional Berhad
- YTL Corporation Berhad
- Malakoff Corporation Berhad
- Intel Corporation, Intel Microelectronics Sdn Bhd
- BASF (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- DRB-Hicom Berhad
- Proton Holdings Berhad
- Honda Motor Co.
- Panasonic Corporation
- Alphabet Inc.
- Exxon Mobile Corporation
There are many more companies that have already form a firm, strong business base in Malaysia and that number is only set to grow as the country continues to move forward. Malaysia certainly offers many advantages as an investment destination, and its robust economic growth serves as a testament to that fact.