Revised Salary Requirements to Hire a Foreigner in Malaysia
What Is an Employment Pass?
Are you keen on experience work life in Malaysia and all the country has to offer? Malaysia is a country with no shortage of opportunity and despite being small in size, it has more than enough room for both locals and expatriates to seek gainful employment.
For foreigners or expats who wish to take up a temporary stint working in Malaysia, what they are going to need to be able to be legally employed here is an Employment Pass. An Employment Pass, simply known as EP for short, is a work permit which will allow and enable expats to work for an organisation in Malaysia. This pass is subject to the contract of employment of course and can be valid for as long as 60 months if needed.
The Expatriate Committee is one of the relevant authorities who will give their approval for a foreigner to be hired to fill in a specific position within a Malaysian based organisation. The EP will then be issued by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
Can I Work in Any Company with An Employment Pass in Malaysia?
No, you may not. The EP which is held by the foreigner will only allow him or her to work in the organisation which has been specified in the EP. Should at any time the foreigner which to change employers, they will be required to submit a new EP application for approval.
Types of Employment Pass Options in Malaysia
Foreigners seeking work opportunities in Malaysia will be able to choose from three different types of Employment Pass options available:
- Employment Pass (EP) – Available for applicants who have a fixed monthly salary which amounts to a minimum of RM10,000 along with an employment contract which must be valid for a minimum of 5 years at the very least.
- Employment Pass Category II (EP II) – Available for applicants who have a fixed monthly salary which amounts to at least RM5,000 per month and along with an employment contract which is valid for 2 years at the very least.
- Employment Pass Category III (EP III) – Available for applicants who have a fixed monthly salary amounting to at least RM3,000 at the minimum, going all the way up to RM4,999 along with a contract period that does not exceed 12 months.
Eligibility Criteria for Employment Pass Application
To be eligible for an EP to come and work in Malaysia, there are certain criteria aside from the minimum salary requirements which an expat would be required to fulfil:
- The applicant of the EP must hold at least a degree qualification or higher.
- If the applicant holds a degree, they must have at least 3 years of experience in a relevant working field.
- The expat must have diploma qualification or higher.
- If an applicant holds a diploma, they would need at least 5 years of work experience in a relevant field.
- If an applicant holds a technical certificate qualification, they would need to have at least 7 years of work experience in a relevant field.
Do you need assistance with your EP application? 3E Accounting is here to help. With many years of service and experience under their belt, 3E Accounting and its team of seasoned professionals will be there to guide you through every step of the process. Contact us now for a consultation session to get started.